Saturday, June 8, 2013

#64, 65, 66

#64 Peace and Plenty
I love the name of this block: Peace and Plenty. When we were little, our mom would sing us, "Love at Home," as our going-to-sleep song. It's her favorite hymn. She knew all the verses, and in one, there's a part that says, "Peace and plenty here abide, smiling sweet on every side. Time doth softly, sweetly glide when there's love at home." Love at home was something we tried for as a whole. We were not always good, and we were not always loving. But most of the time we were fairly loving. We knew we loved each other, and we definitely knew our parents loved us.
So I love the title, I love the idea of peace and plenty, but I don't love the block design. So I decided to make it in a low-contrast coupling of prints. I chose purple: my mom's favorite color is purple, and it comes from her favorite song. And since the prints aren't strikingly different, the weird pattern is kind of downplayed. It turned out nicely in the end.
#65 Peaceful Hours
Oooh, I love this one! I love the blue floral print, and I love the sunburst pattern of the block. This is essentially the color scheme from the book, and I really love how it turned out.
#66 Periwinkle
I kind of cheated for this one, making the center flower out of one print instead of two. Oh well. Pretty blue flowers. When I set out my blocks, I realized I wanted more blue and more dark squares. This fits the bill on both occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment