Monday, March 11, 2013

Good, better, best

#28 Ducks and ducklings
This one is another attempt to add some more green. Leaves and cherries-- it works.
#29 Economy
I simply love this color combination! I never even considered putting them together, but then one day as I was refolding and putting away my fabrics, these to ended up next to each other. And voila! I didn't want something too busy for a block called "economy," so I think this color combo fits the bill.
#30 End of Day
And this is my absolute favorite block so far. I love the way the fabrics look together, so bright and fresh. I love the design of the block, but I was also impressed with the way it looked when I rearranged the four quarters before sewing them together. You can put the smaller triangles in the center and have a pinwheel encased in a block. Or if you invert these two halves, there is a cool design of a square made of stripes. Hard to explain, but I may make two more of this block just to show those variations. Every time I see a square made up solely of 36 #13 triangles, I'll be tempted just to throw one of these in instead.
Actually, consider it done. I hate the #13 triangle!

2 comments:

  1. I love all of these, too!
    I'm having a hard time imagining the stripes option on the third one.
    Somewhere is there an explanation for the names of these blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of them are traditionally named as such. You can google the name of the quilt block, and usually all it comes up with is tutorials of how to do that type of quilt block. Maybe Wikipedia would be a better source. I haven't really looked into it.

      Delete